Cushing & White
In 1867 Leonard Cushing was a civil engineer, working in Providence, Rhode Island and Stillman White worked for him as a machinist. Both men were from Waltham and when the chance to purchase the A. L. Jewell & Co. business presented itself, they saw it as an opportunity to allow them to return to Waltham permanently. Although neither man knew anything about making weather vanes, they jumped in at the auction and bought the equipment, molds and designs and formed the company they called Cushing & White. They also engaged the services of a carver named Henry Leach who was responsible for carving most of the wooden forms used to create the full-bodied weathervanes of horses, stags and other animal forms sold by Cushing & White. In the 1870s White left the firm and it became known as L. W. Cushing & Co. and then in 1872, L. W Cushing & Sons. In addition to the line they purchased from the Jewell estate, they also began adding new designs. The vast majority of Cushing’s business took place in New England although there is record of a few vanes sold in New York State.