George Robert Lawton
GEORGE ROBERT LAWTON (1813-1885)
was a descendent of one of earliest families in Rhode Island, his father’s family arrived at Aquineck in 1638 aboard the ship “Planter” from Cranfield Parish, Bedfordshire, England. The family settled in the Portsmouth, Newport area and obtained a land grant known today as Lawton’s Valley. Members of the early Quaker church in Rhode Island, Lawton appears in the U.S. Census records in 1850 and is listed as living in Scituate, in Providence County. At age 36 his profession is noted as Farmer.