J. & E. Norton-Bennington
was founded in 1785 by Captain John Norton and carried on as a family business throughout the 19th century. A wildly successful pottery, it was well known for producing a wide variety of stoneware, earthenware and ceramic vessels, including some of the most beautiful cobalt decorated images in American stoneware. In 1850 Julius Norton partnered with his cousin Edward and all pottery created in the decade of their association was marked with the J&E Norton, Bennington VT stamp. When Julius Norton died in 1861 the business was passed along to remaining family members under a new stamp.